The Emerging Nonprofit Leaders Program is a dynamic nine-month experience for the next generation of nonprofit leaders in the Greater Richmond region. In this engaging program, participants will have the opportunity to foster a deeper understanding of their leadership capacity, advance their understanding and practice of leading in the nonprofit sector, and strengthen their network of nonprofit colleagues. Now recruiting for its 12th cohort for fall 2018, the program has demonstrated measurable results, building a cadre of over 200 talented leaders for the future of our local community.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an info session prior to submitting materials. We encourage you to bring the leader at your organization who will be supporting your application (ED/CEO, Board Chair). All sessions will take place at the Community Foundation office at 7501 Boulder View Drive, Suite 105, Richmond, VA 23225.
Please register for a session through the ConnectVA Learning Center.
- May 30, 12pm-1pm
- June 20, 9am-10am
- July 11, 5pm-6pm
- August 1, 12pm-1pm
Please feel free to contact Eleanor Jones for questions or for additional information.
2018-2019 Year Program Dates
Barring emergency, participants MUST be available for the following program dates. Attendance is critical to the transformative learning process.
- Opening Day: October 18
- Team Building Day: October 19
- Overnight Retreat: November 15 & 16
- January Session: January 17
- February Session: February 21
- March Session: March 21
- April Session: April 18
- May Session: May 16
- Graduation: June 20
The online application will open May 31, 2018. Complete applications with all supplementary materials are due by 5pm August 16, 2018. Decisions will be sent by 5pm September 13, 2018.
New applicant instructions:
- create account with Online Application link (below)
- sign in
- find “2018-2019 ENLP Application”
- click the blue “Apply” button to start application
Returning applicant instructions:
- click Online Application link (below)
- sign in
- click “Apply” button at top of screen (white)
- find “2018-2019 ENLP Application”
- click the blue “Apply” button to start application.
Please note: when using the application system, it is extremely important to let your nominator know that an email will be sent to them directly from the system to upload their letter and complete their portion of your application. This email often goes directly to Clutter, Junk, or Spam folders. It is the applicant’s responsibility to have their nominator complete their portion of the application, by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
In addition to participating in engaging sessions on topics including strategic leadership, organizational change, collaboration, and coaching others, participants will also have the opportunity to:
- Experience team building through rigorous and challenging activities in an outdoor setting
- Develop deep relationships with other nonprofit leaders
- Participate in a live nonprofit case study
- Increase awareness of their leadership through a thorough assessment process, including 360-degree feedback and the Birkman Method Assesment
- Benefit from individual leadership coaching, provided by professionals with experience in leadership development and nonprofit management
- Network between sessions by engaging in dialogue with the other participants and instructors
- Interact with five local exemplary Executives-in-Residence in a forum where they share their experiences and perspectives
- Participate in Small Peer Practice groups led by ENLP Alumni
- Have access to a supportive online cohort-based e-learning platform.
This program is for nonprofit leaders who:
- Are currently employed full-time by a nonprofit in the greater Richmond area
- Have the potential to make a significant future contribution to the nonprofit community through assuming higher and increased levels of leadership
- Show substantive history of involvement in the nonprofit sector through employment, volunteerism, or board service
- Have supervisory and budgetary experience and responsibility
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional development, continuing education, and life long learning.
Commitment and Cost
Participants and their organizations are expected to make a significant commitment to developing leadership capacity through:
- Attendance at all sessions
- Commitment to approximately five hours each month outside of the group sessions for individual leadership coaching sessions, peer practice groups, completing assessment materials, and completing required homework and session prep, including but not limited to: articles, books, videos, interviews, and research
- Full participation in program evaluation
- Interest in being a part of an ongoing alumni network
- In addition, organizational leaders must be fully invested in the participants.
- The full cost of the 2018-2019 program is $1500 per participant
- Multiple scholarships, funded by ENLP alumni, are available. A full scholarship, sponsored by Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and the Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA), is available for one community development professional – please see application details to learn how to apply
- Only one application per organization will be accepted. It is up to each organization to decide which candidate to endorse.