Earlier this week, Trina Willard of Knowledge Advisory Group led this month’s ConnectVA 501 Tech Club Clinic on Using Google Analytics to Assess & Refine Your Web & Social Media Strategies. Trina kicked off the clinic with a foundational introduction to metrics and web analytics which she defined as ” the study of the online experience in order to improve it”.
Trina outlined the following benefits of capturing your web analytics:
1. Answers important questions about your website’s reach, sufficiency, effectiveness, and content.
2. Assesses the experience and engagement of your website users.
3. Empowers you with the knowledge necessary to make decisions about your online marketing strategy.
Trina warned participants that Google Analytics, a free web-based tool, is a very powerful data system and encouraged users to know what questions they were trying to answer before diving in.
Trina’s parting tips:
- Keep it simple.
- Create routine reports to remind you to systematically review data.
- Before you change advertising, promotion, solicitation or social media, check your stats to see if they can inform your choices.
- Review strategy when you change social media elements, optimization or sources.
Trina shared the following additional resources:
- A Beginners Guide to Google Analytics
- Google Analytics 101 – What You Need to Know
- Google Analytics Reference Guide
Coming up next:
Don’t miss next month’s ConnectVA 501 Tech Club Clinic on Online Fundraising and Donations with Sarah Milston of The Spark Mill on December 11th.