Fort Pocahontas was a defensive fort built and manned by USCTs under the command of Brig. Generals Edward A. Wild and Benjamin Butler. On May 24, 1864, the fort was attacked by Confederate Cavalry led by Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. The action resulted in a decisive victory for USCTs who were outmanned by the much larger attacking force. The Delk/Binford House contains a museum of artifacts uncovered during archeological studies and serves as space for private events and parties. Panoramic views of the James River are provided both from the high bluff and the river landing. Fort Pocahontas will commemorate its Civil War sesquicentennial in May 2014. For more information, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
|Classification||Arts, Culture & Humanities|
|Primary Contact Name||Shelly Liebler|
|Primary Contact Position||Executive Assistant|
|Primary Contact Emailemail@example.com|
|Organization Phone Number||() -|