Website University of Virginia
• The UVA Health System Development Office (HSDO) seeks an Associate Director for Strategic Events to join our committed, collaborative, and results-driven Donor Relations team in support of the continued success of the University’s Honor the Future Campaign.
The Associate Director for Strategic Events will play a lead role in conceptualizing, planning and executing a wide range of high-level, targeted, purposeful events designed to engage, cultivate, and steward key stakeholders. The successful candidate will focus on more than just logistics; they will provide leadership and direction on event strategy, content, and evaluation; we will rely on them to make recommendations and ensure comprehensive follow-up strategies. The Associate Director will be highly motivated, creative, detail-oriented, and dedicated to HSDO’s goal of growing meaningful relationships with grateful patients, alumni, and supporters. They will be responsible for planning and executing high-profile in-person, virtual, and hybrid events within HSDO, and will also partner with University Advancement colleagues and other schools/units on events designed to enhance UVA Health’s relationship with broader University constituencies. The incumbent will report to the Director of Donor Relations & Strategic Stewardship.
Strategy and Concept Development – 20%
• Conceptualize and develop a comprehensive events strategy in collaboration with Director and key stakeholders to introduce and highlight UVA Health, School of Medicine, School of Nursing, and Medical Center leadership, priority funding areas, and differentiating areas of research and care, with the goal of deepening constituent relationships with UVA Health.
• Develop and refine a variety of event models (in-person, virtual, and hybrid) designed to effectively engage, cultivate, and steward core UVA Health core constituencies to maximize development outcomes. Scope of events to include (but not limited to) milestone events, signature events, leadership rollouts events, campaign events, and athletic events.
• Evaluate event proposals to determine feasibility and effectiveness for accomplishing development objectives; refine team event proposals to align with best practices, staff resources, and budget; make recommendations to Director on specific event proposals.
• Ensure that prior to launch, every event has a defined purpose and actionable follow up strategy to maximize development outcomes.
• Identify opportunities to broaden audience for UVA Health events through strategic partnerships with University Advancement Engagement team and other UVA teams on topics of interest to wider UVA community.
Event Planning and Execution – 65%
Serve as lead planner for all aspects of approved HSDO events, to include:
• Event planning and budget: Prepare and maintain all internal planning documents to include event executive pitches/outlines, planning timelines, run of show, etc.; identify event planning team, coordinate regular planning meetings, assign duties. Identify budget and funding source(s) for event; track expenditure to remain on budget.
• Event logistics/guest experience: Manage all logistics related to events, serving as point for all vendor relationships and negotiating contracts and bids for services as necessary and in compliance with UVA procurement guidelines. Identify creative, special touches to enhance overall guest experience.
• Invitation list building & RSVP management: Play an active role in building curated invitation lists for leadership and milestone events, in collaboration with office leadership and development officers; provide guidance/oversight for creation of targeted invitation lists by individual program teams for all other events. Track guest responses, maintain final response and attendee records and track event data in CRM.
• Event communications: Collaborate with team to identify communications needs; draft initial content/design simple electronic invitations, manage approval process; collaborate with Communications team on other event communications as appropriate.
• Program development: Collaborate with development teams, Communications team, and faculty to produce rich program content to engage guests and deliver key messaging centered on high-priority areas. Develop creative methods to share information about research breakthroughs and advancements in patient care through event programming. For hybrid events, manage multiple event strategies to provide meaningful experiences to both in-person and virtual attendees.
• Briefings: Prepare executive briefing materials for leadership attendees, coordinate other prep for leadership, speakers as needed.
• Event follow-up: Develop/implement follow-up strategy in collaboration with team to ensure timely follow through with attendees/invitees post-event.
• Event evaluation: Develop, formalize and fully implement an office-wide event evaluation process. Track key metrics and input event data in CRM for future ROI reporting. Compile periodic data-based reports to inform future events strategy.
• Collaborate with volunteer hosts/committees on selected events, identifying and communicating clear roles/expectations for volunteer(s), to include any monetary donations toward event costs.
• Ensure compliance with all University and industry event best practices including UVA risk management, gift processing, and procurement guidelines.
Other Events – 15%
• UVA Partner Events: Collaborate with University Advancement and other UVA colleagues on planning and execution of select events (virtual and in-person) designed to introduce broader UVA audiences to philanthropic opportunities at UVA Health. Serve as point for UVA Health and liaison to UVA Health faculty and teams.
• Athletic events: Manage all opportunities for leadership to host donor constituents for athletic events throughout year.
• Board meetings: Provide event support for semi-annual Health Foundation Board meetings.
• Internal events: Coordinate planning of internal team events such as annual holiday party and annual staff retreat.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience planning and executing high-level events, preferably in a development setting
• Proven track record of leading, planning, and executing successful in-person and virtual events and VIP donor experiences
• Strong attention to detail and high standard of excellence
• Superior project management skills and results-oriented organization skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to tight deadlines
• Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to communicate confidently, professionally and effectively with executive leadership, donors, volunteers, and colleagues
• Experience with graphic design software, such as InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., a plus
• High level of initiative and ownership; ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to prioritize work and pivot quickly in response to shifting priorities
• Ability to perform well under pressure individually and collaboratively as a part of a team
• Highest ethical standards and attention to confidentiality when dealing with donor and patient information
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong orientation to collaboration and teamwork
• Ability to work effectively in a complex environment
• Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Possess a command of cultural sensitivity and value and embrace cultural, political, and social differences. The incumbent will contribute to an environment that encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion
Some evening and weekend hours are required with this position. Position also requires access to personal vehicle that can be used to transport event supplies from storage facility to event venues, etc.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
The University of Virginia expects all current and new employees (UVA Health System and Academic), to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
If hired to work within the University Health System, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive the vaccination. Employees may request a medical or religious exemption from vaccination.
If hired to work on the Academic side of the University, excluding the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, UPG, and the Health Systems Library, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to submit to mandatory, weekly prevalence testing. Employees that are working 100% remotely will not be subject to weekly prevalence testing; however, if the employee works on UVA Grounds (including the Medical Center) even intermittently, then they are required to be tested for COVID-19 once per week on an indefinite basis and follow masking mandates.
NOTE: Some medical and safety-sensitive positions require vaccination and are not eligible for an exemption. For more information on how the vaccination and testing requirements will apply to you at your work location, see the UVA New Hire Vaccination Requirements webpage.
In addition to having proof of a Covid vaccination, hired employees are required to have Proof of Measles immunity, Mumps & Rubella immunity, Tdap, Flu annually, Chicken Pox immunity.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, University Advancement honors your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Together, we strive to create and maintain working environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming so we can best achieve our mission of supporting our broadly diverse partners, schools and networks of engaged alumni, parents, and friends of the University.
Location: The UVA Health Development Office operates within a distributed teams model for work, offering a flexible and hybrid work space. This position is based in Charlottesville, VA. All team members must have access to and maintain a secure home office environment with high-speed internet service and work collaboratively with others using a variety of technologies and tools. Shared office space is available to staff in Charlottesville, VA. Depending on the type of position and work performed, or as deemed by manager, some positions may be required to work intermittently in a shared office space.
Application Materials: Please submit a cover letter and resume to include your interest, knowledge, skills, abilities or experience related to the position as well as your interest, knowledge, skills, abilities, or experience that support excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion (Inclusive Excellence – Statement Guidance for applicants can be found here, https://eocr.virginia.edu/Contribution-IE-Applicants)
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon project need, availability of funding and performance. Anticipated Hiring Range: $58k – $65k per year commensurate with education and experience. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Daniel Strong, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘R0036061′. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘R0036061.’ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
How to apply:
|Administrative & Office Support|
|University of Virginia|