Website CrossOver Healthcare Ministry
The Dental Assistant assists in the performance of quality, caring, clinical dentistry by aiding multiple volunteer dentists smoothly and unobtrusively during examinations and treatment. The Dental Assistant performs clinical and technical procedures under the super¬vision of licensed dentists as well as prepares the operatory and equipment, gets the patient ready, and maintains awareness of the comfort and safety needs of patients.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty as listed below.
Must be bilingual in either Spanish or Arabic:
• Maintains knowledge of current OSHA regulations and changes
• Maintains OSHA compliant clinical and sterilization area by keeping them clean, neat and organized
• Follows OSHA compliant sterilization techniques
• Performs single laboratory procedures (polish dentures, construct custom trays and minor denture repairs).
• Escorts patients to and from treatment area and ensures patients’ special needs are addressed.
• Records treatment information on the patient’s chart, including treatment rendered, the type of treatment planned and the amount of chair time, doctor time and assistant time needed for next appointment. *Will be electronic documentation*
• Records all pertinent communication that takes place between the patient and the doctor regarding dental needs and treatment.
• Reinforces the doctor’s treatment recommendations and answers patient questions.
• Educates patient about treatment and proper oral hygiene.
• Ensures that patients are aware of planned treatment and cost of such treatment before treatment is performed.
• Ensures that all consent forms are signed before treatment is performed.
• Reviews/Updates patient’s medical history and informs doctor of any changes.
• Assists the doctor by passing instruments, aspirating intra-oral fluids, mixing materials and medicaments during examinations or treatment.
• Exposes X-rays (periapical, bwx, panoramic, cephalometric).
• Takes blood pressure and glucose readings when indicated.
• Ensures that all pre-medication has been taken if necessary for treatment.
• Takes impressions for diagnostic and opposing models.
• Pours and trims study models.
• Takes intraoral photos for dentists and hygienist when necessary
• Applies non-aerosol and non-caustic topical agents and fluoride.
• Prepares all treatment rooms including, but not limited to, set-up, decontamination, sterilization of all instruments, cleaning and restocking.
• Maintains cleanliness of the treatment room, hallways, lab and sterilization area.
• Changes all chemical solutions, i.e., disinfectant soaks and sprays, sterilents, ultrasonic.
• Ensures lights, units, and x-ray are turned on and in proper working order (notifying supervisor if they are not) prior to the first patient.
• Ensures that all equipment is in working order and notifies supervisor if it is not.
• Cleans and maintains all equipment, hand pieces, and vacuum traps.
• Maintains plaster trap and lab counter areas.
• Alerts Supervisor of needed supplies. Assists supervisor to ensure the office is appropriately stocked, stays within the supply budget and maintains a neat and organized supply storage area.
• Maintains organization and cleanliness throughout the treatment, sterilization and lab areas.
• Maintain a productive schedule by translating, assisting the front desk in scheduling and calling patients when necessary.
• Properly closes down the treatment rooms, computers, sterilization and lab areas at the end of the day.
• Help train student dental volunteers in various clinical duties.
• Assist dental volunteers with Electronic Health Records; i.e. scribing progress notes and system information gathering, data and encounter entry etc..
• Assist hygienists when required
• Have transportation to travel to both CrossOver Clinic sites.
• Work *1-2 Saturday mornings per month on occasions/ evening hours on occasion
• Skilled in the use of standard dental office equipment including: Autoclave, model trimmer, X-ray machine – Pan-Ceph X-ray, ultrasonic, Oxygen and Nitrous Oxide, Intra Oral camera, Various lab equipment, Whip-Mix and hand pieces.
• Knowledge of basic dental procedures
• Ability to take blood pressure.
• Knowledge of cross contamination and how to prevent it.
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations and changes.
• Ability to take radiographs, including FMX, Pano, Ceph and anterior PAs.
• Knowledge of English composition, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Skilled in the use of standard office equipment including: telephones, calculators, copiers, fax, computers, and computer software (MS Excel, Word, Practice Management software).
• Ability to engender trust from the doctors, co-workers, and patients.
• Ability to work cooperatively with management, staff, and patients.
• Ability to prioritize, organize and complete tasks in a timely and independent manner.
• Ability to accept constructive criticism.
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Ability to collect data, establishes facts, draw valid conclusions, and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to communicate and express thoughts and ideas competently.
• Ability to quickly grasp relevant concepts regarding duties and responsibilities.
Education / Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum of 1 year relevant experience in the dental profession
|Special Requirements/Certifications/Licenses: • Bilingual Valid X-ray Certification Current CPR & First Aid certificate Have a recent PPD test within the last 6 months Have received Hepatitis B vaccination series • American Dental Assistants Association (ADAA) / Virginia Dental Assistants Association (VDAA) membership * Preferable but not required* Physical and Environmental Requirements: • May be required to lift up to 25 lbs. • Hand-eye coordination and hand, arm, and finger mobility for detailed work with objects. • May be required to physically assist drowsy patients after anesthesia. • Active movement throughout the day: sitting, walking, standing, squatting, bending, stooping, reaching, etc. (not a sedentary position). • Vision: close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. • Hearing: able to satisfactorily communicate with patients, doctor, and other staff members to ensure that verbal communication is clearly understood, particularly during emergency situations. • Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or operate equipment. • May be required to administer CPR. • Occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and radiation. • Exposure to moderate noise levels. • Exposure to hectic, fast-paced, high anxiety environments. Additional or different duties may be assigned occasionally at employer’s discretion.|
|Competitive and commensurate with experience.|
|Benefits: Generous sick, vacation, PTO, health, dental, and vision insurance. 401k option available after one year of employment. CrossOver does not pay relocation expenses.|
How to apply:
|Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.|
|CrossOver Healthcare Ministry|