Website Friends of the James River Park
Purpose of this New Hire:
*Work with the Board of Directors to develop and execute a unified strategy that helps the Friends of James River Park (“FOJRP”) continue to be a recognized and trusted organization in the region with engaged, vested constituents.
* Lead the fundraising efforts to raise significant sums for the betterment of the Park and the implementation of the James River Park System Master Plan.
* Oversee operations of the FOJRP.
*Advocate for and support the timely implementation of the James River Park Master Plan.
*We expect the Executive Director will be an active user of The James River Park System (The Park) and have a passion for sustaining, maintaining, and growing The Park and The Friends’ Group.
The Executive Director of the Friends of the James River Park will have the opportunity to help guide the organization into a new chapter. The Executive Director will work with an active and engaged Board of Directors and staff members of the James River Park System, including a close working partnership with the Superintendent to fulfill the implementation of the James River Park System Master Plan (https://jamesriverpark.org/support/park-master-plan/) and other Park initiatives and bring awareness of “The Park” to a larger, more diverse constituency.
The Executive Director will report directly to the President of the Friends’ Group. The Executive Director will also be responsible for ensuring the development of a unified strategy and overseeing the implementation of the direction/goals determined and approved by the Board of Directors.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Lead the development of the James River Park System Master Plan funding strategy and implementation by working with the Board of Directors, other supporting organizations, and the City of Richmond.
2. Identify and apply for grant opportunities to accomplish no. 1 above.
3. Build and sustain relationships to engage a diverse group of current and potential Park enthusiasts, funders, community partners and members in the region to support and enjoy the James River Park System.
4. Take a leadership role in increasing operating revenue for FOJRP.
5. Work with the Board of Directors and its committees to achieve their strategic goals for advocacy, finance, communications, revenue generation, and Board development.
6. Manage Board governance and operations – i.e., make sure committees are meeting and their reports for the monthly Board of Directors meetings are ready in time for the meeting.
7. Directly supervise FOJRP employees (only one currently), contractors and contracts.
8. Carry out any other duties assigned to them by the Board of Directors.
|Preferred Qualifications:1. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Environmental sciences degree will behighly considered.2. 5 years or more of experience in management and fundraising work withnonprofit organizations.3. Strong administrative skills and work ethic with a proven track record ofachieving results.4. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including oral, writtenand electronic.5. Demonstrated success in fundraising and grant writing.6. Ability to balance strategic thinking with implementation.7. Demonstrated proficiency in fiscal management.8. Ability to plan, develop and manage multiple events/activities concurrently.9. Proficiency with current technology - please share specific experience insoftware package usage (i.e., Microsoft suit, Google, CRM database, etc.).10. Ability to work and achieve goals independently.11. Interest in/knowledge of The Park and/or the outdoors.12. Ability to collaborate with and motivate diverse groups of people whileleveraging the talents of staff and volunteers.|
|Compensation commensurate with experience - Estimated $50,000-$70,000 which includes a benefits stipend|
|A benefits stipend is included in the compensation.|
How to apply:
|Qualified candidates should electronically submit a cover letter, resume, references, and examples of fundraising and grant writing successes to: Mary Kay Martin, President, Friends of James River Park, at email@example.com. Alternatively, please find an application on the The Park’s website at: https://jamesriverpark.org/employment/. Competitive candidates will be interviewed by phone, and in person by the Search Committee before a final decision is made. The Board will make the final decision on the hire and plans to perform an evaluation of the Executive Director on or around the anniversary of their hiring. The review and interview process will begin as qualified candidates are identified. All submissions should be made no later than April 23rd. Specific inquiries can be made to: Mary Kay Martin, President at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the Friends of James River website for more information about the organization at www.jamesriverpark.org.|
|Administrative & Office Support, Fund Development, Leadership & Executive|
|Friends of the James River Park|