Website Virginia Department of Education
Virginia Department of Education is seeking a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to build the capacity of our coalition to support community leaders in identifying food-resource barriers, developing comprehensive solutions and implement anti-hunger strategies.
The VISTA member will support the efforts of the VA 365 Project by establishing a coalition that includes some existing partner agencies, such as VA No Kid Hungry, Share Our Strength and the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth. The coalition will include additional partner agencies with similar goals that focus on improving child nutrition, strengthening communities, and bringing individuals out of poverty. The coalition will also include individuals from the affected communities to garner their input into the project plan.
The Hunger Free Community-AmeriCorps VISTA will be responsible for:
• Working with community members to develop and enhance collaborations between governmental agencies, community-based organizations and other community stakeholders (faith-based, business, etc.).
• Completing community assessments/mapping to identify community institutions/assets to be included in anti-hunger goals.
• Enhancing public/private partnerships by identifying potential organizations to recruit to anti-hunger work.
• Identifying barriers to food resources and producing a report of findings.
• Creating a community-wide “end hunger” plan with the input of partner organizations as well as low-income community members which documents the impact of hunger in the community and a plan for addressing this hunger through a collective impact approach.
• Identifying and recruiting low-income residents to participate in nutrition education.
• Engaging and empowering youth to get involved in nutrition education and promote more positive and safe communities.
• Recruiting, managing, and training community volunteers to participate in identified activities.
• Collecting data and reporting on the coalition’s progress.
This is a one year, full-time position. The anticipated start date is in July 17, 2017.
This is a stipend volunteer position with AmeriCorps-Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA). Learn more at https://www.vistacampus.gov/.
About AmeriCorps VISTA:
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. The most pressing challenges we face as a nation require the most courageous and creative people to address them. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
|Qualifications: • Associate’s Degree or equivalent experience. • Strong interest in working on domestic nutrition, hunger and food security issues. • Demonstrated experience in community engagement preferred. • Strong written and verbal communication skills. • Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. • AmeriCorps VISTA Requirements: o Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit) o Pass a national service criminal history check o Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.|
|$11,880 per year|
|Position Benefits*: • Living allowance of ($11,880) • Segal Education Award ($5,775) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500) • Health benefits* • Potential to forbear or defer student loans while in service • Relocation assistance (if applicable) • Childcare assistance (if applicable) • Optional life insurance • One year non-competitive status for federal government positions • A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums *For more information on benefits provided through AmeriCorps VISTA, visit: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service|
How to apply:
|How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to T. Sherri Dorsey at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2017.|
|Virginia Department of Education|