Website 1708 Gallery
1708 Gallery is searching for a seasonal, part-time Project Coordinator to join the 1708 team. Be a part of a nonprofit contemporary art space and contribute to the growing Richmond art community.
InLight is an annual exhibition of light-based art and performance produced by 1708 Gallery including national and international artists each year. InLight kicks off with a Community Lantern Parade. The exhibition and event welcomes large audiences each year and includes multiple community partners, vendors, volunteers, and city officials.
The Project Manager reports to and works with 1708 Gallery’s Executive Director, Operations Manager, and Curatorial Team on all planning aspects of the event. The position includes working within a strict timeline to plan, manage, and execute the large outdoor exhibition. The position requires around 24 hours a week for 16 weeks from August 2 to November 19. InLight is November 12-13. The time allotted afterwards is for wrap up.
Compensation is a flat rate of $7,680 (equivalent to $20/hour) paid bi-weekly. 1708 Gallery is an equal opportunity employer.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE POSITION:
• Manage artists’ needs including contracts, exhibition locations, technical and installation needs and hotel accommodations
• Procure production materials and coordinate with third-party vendors for production of artists’ projects
• Work with A/V production companies to set up power supply, video and projection, lighting, and sound amplification for specific artworks
• Work with independent property owners to facilitate single-night usage of their properties
• Oversee the the development of site logistics (i.e. food trucks, beer garden, volunteer & info areas) including securing materials, contracts, electricity, and vendor communication
• Notify all properties and businesses affected by InLight
• Oversee and participate in production of Artist Signage
• Oversee volunteers’ duties and requirements
• Manage food vendors and food permitting
• Work with city entities such as RPD, DPW, Fire Dept, Parks & Recreation around permits and regulations
• Maintain organization of event logistics
• Oversee and participate in production
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Strong sense of responsibility, organizational skills, problem-solving skills and thorough attention to detail
• Experience handling and installing artwork
• General knowledge of audio-visual equipment
• Strong computer skills (especially Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs)
• Strong communication skills and the ability to interact in a professional manner with artists, patrons, vendors and coworkers
• Available to work occasional evenings and weekends
• Art background is a plus but not required
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience working in an administrative position
• Some management experience preferred
• Knowledge of and interest in contemporary art
ABOUT 1708 GALLERY
1708 Gallery is a nonprofit arts organization located in downtown Richmond, Virginia. Founded by artists in 1978, our mission is to present exceptional new art. 1708 Gallery is committed to providing opportunities for artistic innovation for emerging and established artists and to expanding the understanding and appreciation of new art for the public.
1708 Gallery is governed by a Board of Directors that consists of artists and community members. The staff, which currently consists of an Executive Director, Curator, and Operations Manager, is responsible for day-to-day operations and programs, and the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission. The staff is supported by a team of interns.
1708 Gallery’s exhibition season consists of up to eight exhibitions featuring national and international artists. Other events include InLight, an annual one-night public art exhibition of light-based art; Monster Drawing Rally, a day of live art making; our Annual Art Auction fundraiser and more.
|Job is part-time and temporary and does not include benefits. Salary is equivalent to $20/hour and paid bi-weekly.|
How to apply:
|Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com with “InLight Project Coordinator” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please. Application Deadline: July 7, 2021|
|Administrative & Office Support|