Website Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE)
The Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE) seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager to plan and execute a robust marketing and communications program. The manager will work to ensure a consistent voice and message across the organization and will develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive plan for the organization, which includes print and electronic communications, social media, media relations, promotions, and community outreach, all with the purpose of increasing public awareness of and engagement with VCEE.
For more than 50 years, the VCEE, along with its Board of Directors, Network, staff, donors and partners, have been committed to ensuring all Virginia students get what they need to understand the economy – how the world works, and financial literacy – how they work in the world. VCEE advances K-12 economic education and financial literacy in three ways: 1) advocating for systemic support at the local, regional, and state levels; 2) delivering professional development and training so teachers feel comfortable and confident; and 3) producing high-quality resources to educate, inspire and engage students. By investing in teachers, VCEE empowers students to build a brighter future.
In Fiscal Year 2018-2019, VCEE’s Board of Directors endorsed an ambitious, multiyear strategic plan to:
• Grow sustainable revenue by diversifying sources and expanding geographic support;
• Drive excellence in content, delivery and outcomes; and
• Raise awareness of VCEE’s mission, programs and impact.
Three years of measurable results later, VCEE is making progress meeting key goals, improving programs and increasing impact. To continue growing, VCEE seeks a talented marketing and communications professional to join the team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing and Message Development 40%
1. Develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive push marketing strategy that elevates VCEE to the attention of local, state and national audiences, and further solidifies VCEE’s position as a leader in K-12 economic education and financial literacy.
2. Assist the Vice President of Programs and Professional Development and the Network with the promotion of programs through the development and coordination of marketing materials that generate leads.
a. Promote the Virginia Stock Market Game™ Program in order to increase earned revenue.
b. Promote the organization’s other programs and resources through giveaways, displays, outreach events, media-sponsored coverage, etc.
3. Assist the Vice President of Resource Development with writing, design and production of promotional materials including sponsorship packages, campaign materials and solicitations.
4. Build and manage a toolkit that supports the Board of Directors and other partners in their advocacy, outreach and awareness-raising responsibilities. May contain statistics, email and social media templates, letters of support, etc.
5. Coordinate with all staff to ensure organization-wide consistency in brand, message and graphic image for all external communications.
6. Maintain the organization’s WordPress website and serve as the organization’s liaison with the contract web developer.
7. Produce the organization’s electronic newsletter monthly and develop email blasts and social media content that boosts public awareness of VCEE and its mission.
Communications and Storytelling 40%
1. Develop and oversee a comprehensive communications strategy including content calendar with the aim to nurture and deepen existing relationships.
a. Conduct market research and analyze audience behaviors to improve engagement.
b. Create and distribute content centered around VCEE’s mission to provide Virginia’s K-12 students with the economic knowledge and financial skills they need to thrive in our dynamic economy.
c. Elevate the voices of program participants, share behind-the-scenes stories and capture mission moments to share with audiences.
2. Help signature events – Virginia Governor’s Challenge in Economics and Personal Finance, Outstanding Economic Educator Awards, Virginia Stock Market Game™ Awards Celebration – attract media attention by advising on audience-first strategies.
3. Manage all media relations, including: writing news releases for programs, events and major gifts; responding to requests for information from news media; securing media interviews for leadership, etc.
4. Build internal process to evaluate all internal and external communications, ensuring a consistent narrative and institutional voice across programs and events.
5. Manage organization contacts including email database, invitation lists and other partner lists.
6. Write, design and produce quarterly impact reports for leadership donors and an annual report for the organization.
1. Participate in staff, Network and board meetings as required and attend events as needed, which will require occasional travel around the state.
2. Ability and willingness to look beyond the general responsibilities of the role for additional opportunities to promote VCEE’s mission.
3. The manager will represent the interests of VCEE as a member of the team that interacts with the public.
|MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: • Superior written and verbal communications skills. • Enjoys spending a significant amount of time creating and strategizing content that drives results. • Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to use sound judgment, and experience in project management. • Attention to detail and accuracy. • Proven ability to meet deadlines, work on time-sensitive tasks and adjust to changing priorities with grace. • Ability to work independently and cooperatively to achieve organizational goals. • At least three (3) years of relevant experience with marketing, communications and/or public relations responsibilities. • Associate’s degree. • Willingness to travel around the state for programs and events, as needed. • Willingness to learn web development, desktop publishing, email and social marketing tools. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: • A self-starter and creative thinker able to demonstrate initiative in suggesting and implementing new ideas and approaches. • A curious mind, willing to experiment and optimize to achieve measurable results. • Understanding of what makes compelling publications and reports. • Understanding of brand and reputation management. • Understanding of printing and publishing. • Understanding of news and media attention. • Understanding of nonprofit organizations, K-12 education, and/or economic education and financial literacy. • Work or volunteer experience in a nonprofit, education setting or entrepreneurial environment. • Proficient as administrator of WordPress, Constant Contact, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other online tools, including analytics.|
|Hiring Range: $42,000 - $48,000, depending on qualifications|
|• Remote status – Position and team works remotely with occasional meetings. • More flexible schedule, after a 90-day introductory period. • Business casual dress. • Opportunity to interact with extraordinary colleagues and executive-level external partners. • Travel reimbursement – Per state guidelines. • Vacation – Two weeks (10 days) vacation annually, after a 90-day introductory period. • Holidays – All holidays observed by VCU as published annually. • Sick – Up to 8 days per year, as needed. • Professional development opportunities to grow skills and career. Note: VCEE operates as an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization reliant on the generous support of donors and sponsors to help achieve its education mission. Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Virginia is a partner of VCEE that provides in-kind office space, mail services, and technology support. VCEE will not provide medical insurance, life or disability insurance, or retirement benefits.|
How to apply:
|Please email cover letter, resume, and a portfolio of work that demonstrates storytelling, campaign planning, and engagement metrics to Jennie Romero at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority consideration to complete applications received by 06/23/2021.|
|Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE)|