Find Your Seat at the Board Table!
The Board Immersion Program provides an orientation to the responsibilities of board service and connects volunteers to nonprofit organizations seeking new talent, allowing them to “try out” board service without making the commitment to a full board term.
Through a partnership with local nonprofit organizations, Board Immersion participants serve as non-voting, board committee members for one year. Participants:
- attend board meetings
- actively participate on at least one board committee
- make a financial contribution to the organization
Benefits of the Experience
Board Immersion participants will be able to:
- “Try out” board service before making a commitment
- Receive mentorship and advice from experienced board leaders
- Discuss their experiences among a group of peers
- Receive board coaching and support from Organizational Solutions
- Develop a plan to make your next board experience more impactful and meaningful, based on what you will learn from the experience
Additionally, there may be the potential to officially join a nonprofit board or board committee in the next yearly cycle.
2015 – 2016 Nonprofit Partners
- The Valentine: www.thevalentine.org
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Richmond and Tri-Cities: www.bigbrobigsis.com
- *James River Association: www.jamesriverassociation.org
- Make-A-Wish Greater Virginia: www.va.wish.org
Applications for 2015-2016 will be accepted from May 15 to June 12, 2015. The application consists of two steps:
- Complete the online application
- Email a current resume to Annette Cousins: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews for the program will take place on June 29, July 1 and July 9.
*Please note that we are currently accepting applications for placement with The Valentine, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and Make-A-Wish Virginia. Participants with James River Association have already been selected.
Participation requires an investment of time and financial resources:
- Board Immersion Program orientation meeting
- Building Blocks for Nonprofit Board Members workshop
- 75% attendance at board meetings. Dates will be provided once you are matched with an organization
- 75% attendance at committee meetings
- Participation in three check-in meetings with Organizational Solutions
- Financial Investments:
- $50.00 minimum donation to the nonprofit organization
- $100.00 Program administration fee – Organizational Solutions
- $50.00 fee for Building Blocks for Nonprofit Board Members workshop, if you have not already attended
- Attendance/Participation in at least 2 fundraising events within the year (cost may vary)
The Board Immersion Program is an offering from Organizational Solutions – one of the four programs of the Partnership for Nonprofit Excellence, who provides support and tools to Central Virginia nonprofits for efficiency and greater impact.
Looking for more ways to get involved in Board Service or Volunteer with a Nonprofit? Looking for ways to get your nonprofit connected with Board or Volunteer Resources? Check out ConnectVA’s Volunteer and Board Resources page!