Before you start recruiting:
- Know what you need. Before you even start recruiting new board members, find out your current board’s strengths and weaknesses with Board of Directors Assessment Tools.
- Get organized. Organize responsibilities and set goals for your board. Get more helpful tips from Top 10 Elements of an Effective Board of Directors.
On your new board member’s first day:
- Prepare them for their fundraising responsibilities. Give your board members Board Member Fundraising Expectations Checklist.
- Introduce them to your recordkeeping procedures. Go through the 10 Minute Board Exercise – Recordkeeping with all new board members.
- Make sure they understand your conflict of interest policy. If you don’t already have one, try Sample Conflict of Interest Policy as a template.
- Try to see your nonprofit from their point of view. Check out 7 Questions Your Board Asks That You May Never Hear.
What’s missing from this list? How do you help your board members prepare? Be sure to sign-in on ConnectVA and post your tips and suggestions in the comment section. You can also attend or send your Board Members to a Building Blocks for Nonprofit Board Members training on 9/26 with Organizational Solutions.